Our focus is to help educate you on how to reduce your energy costs while increasing the comfort and health of your personal home, rental, and/or a client project. Our licensed assessor will visually inspect your home or project may use tools like a blower door, thermal imaging, and gas leak detector.
Within 1 hours, the assessment will identify where you can improve energy efficiency and save money. He or she will provide recommendations that you can give a professional contractor or start on the work yourself. When all desired upgrades are complete, the auditor will return to assess the work for accuracy and quality.
Part of the assessment includes a DOE Home Energy Score which gives you a 1 – 10 label, 10 being the most energy efficient home around. The plan we give you will help you increase your score which also is tied to getting access to pay as you save funding, financing, energy efficient mortgages, utility incentives/rebates and/or increases your resale value.
We can perform preliminary plan reviews on planned new construction projects and inspect those during and after construction as well.
Bonus for Holland Residents: This gets you approved for the Holland Retrofit or On-Bill Financing Program!
What does the Rater check?
- insulation quality
- air and duct leakage
- furnace & A/C system
- water heater
- doors, windows, and solar gain/shading
- solar pv opportunities
- Water efficiency
- Radon test
- Ventilation issues
- Moisture problems
How do I determine my score?
“The Home Energy Score is similar to a vehicle’s miles-per-gallon rating. The Home Energy Score allows homeowners to compare the energy performance of their homes to other homes nationwide. It also provides homeowners with suggestions for improving their homes’ efficiency.
The process starts with a Home Energy Score Assessor collecting energy information during a brief home walk-through. Using the Home Energy Scoring Tool, developed by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, the Assessor scores the home on a scale of 1 to 10. A score of 10 indicates that the home has excellent energy performance. A score of 1 indicates the home needs extensive energy improvements.” – DOE
What do I get in my report?
- A report detailing energy use, upgrades, costs and return on investment.
- A scope of work to give to a contractor and a listed of recommended contractors.
- A better understanding of the home a system what you can do to improve it through a holistic approach.
- Access to special financings such as low-interest unsecured loans and/or on-bill financing where you only pay based on actual energy saved.
- A 3rd party inspection test out to ensure contractor or DIY labor was performed accurately to ensure your home will be better and energy savings happen.
- A completed Green & Energy Efficient Home Appraisal Addendum completed before and after work to help improve your home’s value.
I am a home performance contractor or rater who wants to provide the HES
Great! We are looking for more assessors.
Green Home Institute
PO Box 68164
Grand Rapids MI 49516
Tel: (616) 458-6733
Toll Free: (888) 533-3274