Join USGBC for an important, free educational program – bringing you the tools you need to understand the intersection between green building and affordable housing. Read more
Spicewood Gardens is a newly constructed 26 unit senior affordable housing complex located in Sheridan Indian. Every unit includes energy, water and resource efficient features including low flow fixtures, durable local materials, panelized roof and wall systems, native landscaping and energy star windows, doors, lighting, appliances and home certification Local housing authorities have started putting an emphasis on community developers building LEED affordable homes in their areas. This is HAND’s first but certainly not last LEED for Homes project in Hamilton County. It is also the first LEED Silver affordable multi – family project in Indiana.
A CIR was awarded for this project for the alternative method of
reaching awareness and education. In addition to a tenant open
house and walk through training, the builder and architect of the
project was involved in an affordable housing conference.
Exhibiting their LEED projects, and participating in a panel
discussions regarding green design and building in affordable
This project also achieved additional points for reducing urban
heat island effect by using 100% light colored concrete for all
sidewalks, driveways and patios.
Illinois LEED for Homes recently got a big boost when the 11 townhomes built by Brinshore Development in Highland Park received their LEED Gold certifications. The best part is, the affordable housing project captured regional and national attention for its ability to be replicated in other communities. Read more
Green Home Institute
PO Box 68164
Grand Rapids MI 49516
Tel: (616) 458-6733
Toll Free: (888) 533-3274
- GreenHome Institute continues Green Affordable Housing Initiative after receiving Wege Foundation Grant.
- Welcome our New LEED for Homes Primary Quality Assurance Director (PQAD) – Christin Kappel
- Jeff Dombrowski, affordable housing developer to lead GHI as president through 2018
- Danny McGee, Sustainability Consultant takes Vice President Roll on GHI Board
- Dave Dye, sustainable homes designer joins GHI Board and takes on secretary position.