Getting to zero takes might, takes diligence and above all, it takes a hero!
The challenge is lofty, but the rules are simple.
A family or building owner who can achieve zero energy usage on their utility bills from on-site renewable energy usage can win a yearly award.
It’s that simple!
Contact us to apply today – rules are below.
If you are starting a project now, make sure to follow our Zero Energy Capable program so that you can easily achieve this award with little effort.
Awards winners + FAQ Below
What all do I need to submit?
- Property address
- How to achieved this feat
- 12 months of utility bills
- Amount of material burned if wood, coal or other fuel was used.
Does this award ensure my project is certified?
No. It is just a snapshot of 1 year in time, based on utility bills. See our Zero Energy Capable Certification to get certified.
How do I know if I am zero energy?
You will take all your utility data from 12 months of bills
- Natural Gas
- (Biofuel, wood and/or coal must all be calculated as well).
Convert the fuel usage to Kilowatt Hours
Subtract fuel usage from Kilowatt Hours generated on site.
What counts as on site energy generation?
- Solar PV
- Wind Turbines
- Small Hydro
- Sustainably harvested wood *
- Biofuel that is grown and processed at a local farm
- Solar Hot Water**
*Still determining definition but we will know it when we see it.
** Solar Hot water cannot offset electricity usage only heating water.
What about Zero Water Hero?
You must produce as much water as you consume through rainwater catchment and/or groundwater.
The groundwater must be replaced at the same rate it is taken out and not in a way that reduces the quality.
Green Home Institute
PO Box 68164
Grand Rapids MI 49516
Tel: (616) 458-6733
Toll Free: (888) 533-3274
- Building a Sustainable Garden Shed | Jessica Bliss of shedplans.org
- Come See the GHI Executive Director, Brett Little, Speak at the Net Zero Build Summit in Novi, Michigan on March 24-25, 2020
- Brainerd Park Apartments – LEED Gold + 100% Affordable
- What are the top 5 YouTube green building education sessions of 2019?
- Will Gallmeyer, Green Projects Group joins GHI Board of Directors in 2019, Elected Treasurer