Kris Hunter is an owner of two West Michigan based companies—Hunter Energy Resources LLC, a solar PV system design and installation firm and Global Battery Solutions LLC, an advanced chemistry battery solutions provider. She has been an active advocate for the advancement of energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy for over 10 years and has participated in many grassroots efforts to educate community members—leading seminars for faith-based organizations, educational institutions and local youth groups. Kris has been involved with the Midwest Renewable Energy Association, GreenMichigan.org, and has served as a member of the Board of Directors for the Great Lakes Renewable Energy Association (glrea.org).
Welcome aboard our new LEED for Homes Green Rater!
Claudia is a licensed Professional Engineer and LEED Accredited Professional who provides sustainability consulting and project management at dbHMS. As a LEED AP BD+C, Claudia assists project teams in developing strategies for LEED certification both for MEP-related credits and general consulting. This work is complemented by her experience with dbHMS conducting MEP and general reviews of LEED projects submitted to the USGBC for certification. She has overseen projects ranging from core and shell developments to large-scale, multi-family housing. Claudia brings a broad knowledge base to implementing green techniques and strategies. Claudia volunteers with the USGBC Illinois Chapter’s Emerging Professionals group, Rebuilding Together Chicago, and Designs for Dignity.
She works at dbHMS which was founded in 2002 on the principles of integrated project delivery and sustainable design. A minority-owned business with 125 employees worldwide, and 85 based in Chicago, their project approach unites key stakeholders and creative design professionals, letting them work collaboratively to deliver innovative engineering solutions. Their team of consultants provides a full range of services including mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection, lighting, and information technology design. The specialize in energy modeling, building commissioning, LEED/ sustainability consulting, computational fluid dynamics (CFD), and daylighting studies. dbHMS has been recognized as a LEED® Proven Provider™ for the Building Design and Construction rating system family by Green Building Certification Inc.
Contact Claudia today to make your next project, Better!
Welcome our brand new credentialed LEED green rater who is serving the Upstate New York Region and behind to help people (re)build healthier and greener buildings.
Courtney has provided consulting services for a wide range of buildings, including commercial and multifamily projects. She currently provides consulting and technical support to project teams on sustainable building design and manages the LEED certification process from project inception through certification. Courtney specializes in LEED-NC, -EBOM, and -CS rating systems. Courtney holds a BA in Business Management from Western Michigan University and a MS in Energy Management from the New York Institute of Technology. She also holds a Certificate in Green Building Design from Cooper Union in New York City. Courtney became a LEED AP in 2008 and a LEED for Homes Green Rater in 2017.
Taitem Engineering, PC, is a consulting engineering firm focused on energy efficiency, green building design, and renewable energy. Our team of MEPS engineers, energy analysts and sustainability consultants help buildings perform better, and help local and NYS energy programs deliver savings. Taitem’s award-winning solar division has installed hundreds of solar photovoltaic systems for homes and businesses. Additional services include Aeroseal duct sealing, commissioning, LEED certification, research and training. In 2013, Taitem earned B-Corporation status, meeting rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. “Taitem” stands for “technology as if the Earth mattered,” reflecting the firm’s commitment to the environment.
Courtney is taking her own home in Ithica through the LEED for Homes process and aiming for Platinum along with the Zero Energy Capable Certification.
Below are the highlights and features of her home the Hemsin House.
- Located in Ithaca, New York
- Hemsin is the name of the region Umit is from in Turkey, it means “always fun”
- 2,240 sqft single family home, two-floors, new construction
- Zero Energy Building, LEED for Homes Platinum certification pending
- WaterSense and Indoor AirPLUS certification pending
- Energy Star certified
- 1.8 ACH 50
- HERS score 8
- R-45 mineral wool cavity exterior wall insulation, R-60 ceiling blown-in cellulose insulation, R-16 underslab insulation, R-16 vertical slab insulation at 4 inch length.
- Advanced framing methods applied; for instance, 24 inch OC for exterior walls
- Slab on grade
- 14-15% Window to Wall Ratio (WWR)
- Half of the house windows are R-5 and other half are R-3.5
- DHW will be provided by an air-source heat pump
- One mini-split air source heat pump provides heating
- Supplemental electric resistance baseboards are installed in the bedrooms, but should only if space temperature goes down to 64°F
- Energy Star appliances throughout
- Energy Star-certified metal roof
- Heat Pump Clothes Dryer
- 6.9 kw solar pv array
- Achieved lots of daylighting by using a wedged wall around the windows and highly reflective surfaces and paints throughout
- Low-VOC paints, coatings, sealants, and adhesives
- Incorporated local hardwood and local reclaimed hardwood
- No invasive and native landscaping
- Stormwater management design features swales that feed a pond on-site
- 100% post-consumer recycled paper and petroleum-free resin kitchen countertops
Make sure you contact Courtney before your next new or residential renovation to ensure it is cerified and built, BETTER.
Build Equinox manufactures the CERV (pronounced “serve”) smart ventilation system. On-board CO2 and VOC sensors combined with heat pump energy recovery make the CERV the most capable air quality management system for high-performance homes. Real-time monitoring of the home’s air quality along with temperature and humidity give control and peace of mind to homeowners that their house is being kept healthy and comfortable. Designed and built in the United States, the CERV is UL Listed and assembled in a 100% solar powered facility located in Urbana, Illinois. Live Healthier, Live Longer. Live Better with a CERV.
Green Home Institute
PO Box 68164
Grand Rapids MI 49516
Tel: (616) 458-6733
Toll Free: (888) 533-3274